Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has announced it will give hikers the opportunity to win prizes for hiking Connecticut’s high peaks as part of a new program – “The Sky’s the Limit” 2015 Hiking Challenge, designed to promote hiking in Connecticut’s state parks and forests throughout 2015.
Participants in the competition have the opportunity to receive a medallion for hiking up 10 designated locations. For hiking up all 14 designated high peaks, 50 families will receive a hiking staff. Names will be drawn from all who completed the 14 designated hikes on January 1, 2016.
For more information visit: www.NoChildLeftInside.org
To participate in the Sky’s the Limit Challenge, take the following steps:
Step 1: Hike at one of the 14 CT State Parks or Forests listed below.
Step 2: Snap two photos of yourself – one with a picture of the State Park or Forest shield sign and one at the location listed below.
State Park & Forest Photo Locations (not all locations are open year round, so remember to check www.ct.gov/deep/StateParks to confirm and plan accordingly):
- Dennis Hill State Park, Dennis Hill Pavilion, Route 272, Norfolk
- Fort Griswold Battlefield State Park, from the top of the monument, Park Ave., Groton
- Haystack Mountain State Park, Haystack Mountain Tower, Route 272, Norfolk
- Hurd State Park, Split Rock Vista, Route 151, East Hampton
- Lovers Leap State Park, Scenic Vista along Falls Mountain Trail, Grove St., New Milford
- Macedonia Brook State Park, Scenic Vista, 159 Macedonia Brook Rd., Kent
- Mohawk Mountain State Forest, Mohawk Scenic Vista, 20 Mohawk Mountain Rd., Goshen
- Mount Tom State Park, Mount Tom Stone Tower, Route 202, Litchfield
- Pachaug State Forest Chapman Area, Mount Misery Overlook, Route 49, Voluntown
- Shenipsit State Forest, Soapstone Mountain Observation Tower (currently closed).
- Sleeping Giant State Park, Stone Observation Tower on the Peak of Mt. Carmel, 200 Mount Carmel Ave., Hamden
- Southford Falls State Park, Fire Tower, 175 Quaker Farms Rd., Rt. 188, Southbury
- Talcott Mountain State Park, Heublein Tower, Route 185, Simsbury
- West Rock Ridge State Park, Scenic Vista by the Upper Pavilion, Wintergreen Ave., Hamden
Step 3: Email your photos (a picture of the shield sign and photo of yourself at the above 10 locations), along with your name and home address to receive a medallion to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to CT DEEP State Parks, Sky’s the Limit, 79 Elm St., Hartford, CT 06106, emailed or postmarked by December 11, 2015.
Step 4: Email your photo (a picture of the shield sign and photo of yourself at the above 14 locations), along with your name and home address to email@example.com or mail to CT DEEP State Parks, Sky’s the Limit, 79 Elm St., Hartford, CT 06106, emailed or postmarked by December 11, 2015 and you will be entered to win one of 50 hiking staffs, you do not need to be present the day of the drawing. On January 1, 2016, the winners will be chosen at one of the First Day Hikes.